Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Old Stove/New Stove

Recently a new stove moved into the house at 732 E Center Street. It was so exciting to bring in the pretty new addition, but at the same time (and I know this might seem a little odd to some) it was sad to take the old one out. As I thought about it, and wondered why I felt that way, I decided it was because it reminded me of Mom, Dad, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and the many, many meals, bottled produce, and treats that were produced thereon. Food brings people together, doesn't it? I have included some pictures here for your viewing pleasure. The first one is the old stove saying "Good-bye". The second one is the new stove saying, "Hello", and the third one is Aunt Debbie cooking the first item on the new stove, which was a can of Progresso soup. Vegetable Beef with Barley, to be exact.


So, as I was deciding to post this, I thought it would be fun for those who wish to post their feelings about the old stove/new stove transition in the form of a poem, just a thought, or a story that it reminds you of. No pressure, no contest, just fun. This may or may not get any response, but it might be fun to see what you all have to say.




5 comments:

Erin said...

One time, a person (this person wasn't me) at the house let their friend use the oven while no one else was there. The friend forgot to turn the oven off before they left. When I got there (two days later), I saw that the oven was left on. Needless to say, that friend was not allowed to bake there anymore.

Erin said...

When you want some lovin', your heart may be yearnin'. Don't do it on the oven, or your butt may be burnin'! I'm sorry about the poem. It just came to me.

DeAnn said...

I didn't know an old stove could make you cry. Between it and a little nip of fall in the air at times I have been thinking about Mom quite a bit lately. When it's fall I always think about coming home from school and heading up to Crandall's where Mom was sorting fruit. Today when I cut a fresh tomato from my garden the smell took me back to canning tomato juice on that old stove. The new one is really pretty though.

Mama Wisch said...

Ben's favorite stove memory - Grandma was cooking something on the stove and I was in the kitchen bothering her. Finally she asked me if I wanted to know how they make steel. I told her I did, so she told me to go ask Grandpa. A few hours later, Grandpa finished his instruction, and I knew never to bug Granny again, or to ask Grandpa how to make steel.

After so many years it was probably about time to get a new oven. Now about that dishwasher...

Debra Morris said...

thank you all for your comments. They were fun to read. Awesome poem, Erin!