Friday, May 4, 2012

I decided I need to show some pictures and tell a bit about where Dale and I live. It's a place that, until about a month before we moved here, I never knew existed. We are right on the Texas-Mexico border. The town of Presidio is one of the oldest, continuously inhabited settlements in the U.S. There is a sign when you come into town that says it was established in 1683. It has been several different things but mostly, as the name implies, a military outpost. It is far off the beaten path. There is only one fast food place: Subway. No public swimming pool (and it gets up to 115 in the summer), no Walmart, Kmart, or Costco. In fact the closest Walmart is 2 1/2 hrs away. No pharmacy, no mall, no movie theater. There is lots of dirt, though, and very little grass. There are, however, some very nice people, and the school kids are polite and well-mannered. They can be bratty like anywhere else (after all, I work in the Middle School).

If you had asked me before we came here if I ever thought I would find myself in a place like this, I would have answered with an emphatic "NO". Dale feels the same way. Having been here for about 10 months, though, we can both say we are happy we are here.


I am going to post 2 pictures now and later on will probably put a longer post and more pics on our personal blog. The first picture is of the old Catholic Church in town. It is around 300 years old, I've read this and also been told by the locals. The second picture is of my cute husband, Dale, standing in the Rio Grande.

3 comments:

Hayley and Zachary said...

Yay! Presidio! You forgot to mention the weird little animals that run around as well :)

Erin said...

If you look closely, you can see some people swimming to the United States. ;)

Maureen said...

Sounds and looks like a neat little town.
It looks like people would be wading across the Rio Grande to get to the U.S.