Sunday, April 15, 2012

Old People Alert!!

Dale and I try to tell ourselves that we are still pretty young, at least young at heart, but an incident happened the other day that convinced us that maybe we are getting along in age . . . .

We were in El Paso because I had a minor surgical procedure. The next day, we had stopped at a convenience store to get some snacks. As we were paying, the young man at the counter was just making conversation and asked us if we were traveling. Dale proceeded to explain to him that, no, we were here because, "my wife just had surgery and that we live four hours away. We do come to El Paso frequently, though, to go to the Doctor, get prescriptions, and then before we go home, we go to Walmart and Costco". As my dear sweet husband kept talking, I felt the urge to poke him in the ribs so he would stop making us sound like old people, but, too late. . . the young man's eyes had glazed over with boredom by this time. As we walked out the door, Dale said, "I think I just made us sound like old people, didn't I?" I had to agree with him.
So, from now on, we need to have a ready-made story to tell people such as, "Yes, we come here because we like to hit the clubs and go dancing."

5 comments:

Hayley and Zachary said...

Ha ha ha! That was a fantastic story that me laugh to start my Monday off. Thanks mom and you will always be young to me :)

DeAnn said...

I too had a laugh over your story. It strikes pretty close to home.

Maureen said...

Doctors, Walmart, and Costco, what else does a person need!

Laurel said...

um, i'm 26 and that is what my life consists of. love you aunt debra!

Dale and Debbie said...

Ha ha . . . I guess its what you call coming full circle. I remember those days, too, Laurel. You're a sweetie and I love you and your family, too.