Sunday, September 7, 2008

Italy





Well I made it back from Italy. I decided I would add a couple pics of the nice parts and a couple of the less glamorous parts. That sausage was not great but I got it for free from some guys at the airport. When you are nearly out of money that sausage starts looking really good. The other picture is me on the floor of the airport where we spent a night before flying to Rome. I got a good hour that night. We got really lucky and had a free place to stay in Siracusa, Sicily with a friend of a friend of a friend. However, he had to leave for work and told us we had to leave to. I had under fifty dollars in my bank account and had to find a place to stay for four more nights before heading to Milan (I already had my ticket) and then fly home. We were planning on camping on the beach for a few days but then my friend Vittoria emailed me and said she had a friend in Catania, Sicily who said we could come stay. It was only about an hour away and was on the route back to the mainland. The girl had a big house with a private guest room that could only be accessed from the garden. From then on things were really really good. Our days went like this, get up at noon, her mom makes us really good Sicilian food, we then go with the girl, Donata and a bunch of her friends to the beach, we then swim and play volleyball all day until about nine, then we go back, eat pizza, and go dancing until about four or five in the morning, following that we get some croissants for breakfast and then go home and go to sleep as the sun's coming up, then we get up at around noon and do it again. Lot of fun.
I had a another scare when I got to Milan. After 17 hours on trains I get to the airport to find out that my flight has been cancelled to Brussels. Problem. I need to catch my flight to the US from Brussels. I freak out for a while and then they inform me that they are putting me up in a hotel and flying me to Amsterdam the next day. Before this happened I was extremely worried seeing as it was a budget airline and sometimes they just don't care. I had only a few euro and no way to get another ticket. Flying me to Amsterdam was still a problem because I did not have enough money for a train ticket to Brussels. Fortunately I was woken in the pretty nice hotel to a phone call from Vittoria telling me that her and her friend were driving to Amsterdam to pick me up.
So in the end I made it back to Utah and everything is going pretty good.

4 comments:

DeAnn said...

Sounds pretty exciting. I'm glad you made it back ok.

Erin said...

The sausage looks like poop.

Laurel said...

What an adventure. We love granbo too. We're glad you made it home safely and not dead from that sausage.

Debra Morris said...

Seriously, Tyler. I can't stand to even look at the sausage.