Friday, May 2, 2008

Here is Tyler's email from Brussels.

Wow fam today has been crazy. I have gone two full nights without sleeping so I hope this email makes sense. I got to Brussels and met Josef. We jumped on the metro out to my new neighborhood. When I got out of the subway station I thought there was a mistake and that it had dropped us off in Tehran instead of Brussels. Me and Josef were the only two non-muslims that I could see. There was a open market and people were yelling stuff. I got a feeling pretty quickly that maybe this was not the ideal place for me to come home to each night. Still, we met the landlady. The apartment was completely unfinished and under construction. The landlady spoke english but her husband only spoke French. He was not a nice man. After seeing the place in ruin, Josef recommended to me that I not take it and said I could stay at his place until we found something. Josef and I were able to talk in Czech so they could not understand us. I was worried that I was going to catch a right jab uppercut combo from the landlord when I told him I didn't want the place. In the end, he just gave me a dirty look and we left.
We ate lunch at a guy named Pavel Cernoch's apartment with his and Josef's family. Pavel works for the Czech Republic in the European Parliament and we instantly became friends. He invited me to come over to Parliament with him next week and eat lunch and he wants to show me around. We had some great political discussion at his place. After we left I was so tired I couldn't see straight. On our way back to Josef's we took his daughter to the hospital because she was sick. I was asleep in the car and they left me in there. However, it was locked and I was locked in. I finally realized the back windows were manual and I crawled out the window (I had to use the restroom). Now I am back at Josef's and am going to get some sleep. Josef is awesome and has a great family. I am looking forward to working this summer with him. I hope you are all great and I love you.

Tyler

1 comment:

Sarah C said...

Good job, Erin, we have to help our elderly parents.